Investment Priorities Plan
BOI-approved investments increase 17% in 1Q
Posted on 16 April 2015

The Board of Investments (BOI) approved a total of 59 projects valued at Php54.62 billion from January to March 2015, up by 17% compared to the Php46.77 billion approved in the same period of 2014. When fully operational, the 59 projects approved during the period are expected to generate 18,174 jobs, up 65% from last year’s 11,636.

Higher figures recorded during the first quarter is attributed to the approval of notable big ticket projects listed under the Electricity, Gas, Steam and Air Conditioning Supply sector (e.g., power generating plants, renewable energy projects). As a result, the sector generated Php13.76 billion in total investments, up by 30%.

However, it was the Manufacturing sector that posted the biggest growth as investments skyrocketed by a tremendous 517% to Php12.90 billion. The surge in manufacturing projects reflects the results of the initiatives of the Manufacturing Resurgence Program (MRP), a government priority program that was initiated to push for a 30 percent increase in Gross Value Added (GVA) and a 15 percent increase in employment by 2025.

The objectives of the MIR are being achieved with the help of the policies and strategies created under the Manufacturing Industry Roadmap (MIR). The industry roadmaps, established by DTI through the BOI, opens the door for the private sector to collaborate with the government, the academe and civil society in charting the direction, objectives and strategies that will make their respective industries become more competitive and eventually realize sustainable growth.

Other sectors with substantial contributions include Transportation and Storage sector with Php10.48 billion and Real Estate Activities sector with Php9.09 billion.

Of the total investment approvals, 96% or Php52.25 billion came from local investors and the remaining 4% or Php2.38 billion was generated from foreign sources. Singapore topped the list of foreign investors as it comprised 59% of the total with Php1.41 billion or 59% of the total foreign investments.

Other top investors include British Virgin Islands which contributed Php 877.75 million, People’s Republic of China (Php 31.19 million), Cooks Island (Php 8.87 million), Denmark (Php 8.87 million), Norway (Php 8.83 million),Bermuda Php 8.82 million, Japan (Php 8.77 million), Germany (Php 7.77million), United Kingdom (Php 4.00 million) and India ( Php 3.37 million).

Region 4 received the biggest share of investments with Php13.47 billion worth of projects. NCR posted Php8.62 billion followed by Regions 6 (Php7.49 billion), Region 7 (Php 6.86 billion) and Region 10 (Php5.22 billion).